As I mentioned in my last Watou post, we ate at a FABULOUS restaurant the night we were in Watou! Here are the deets!
Restaurant: ‘t Hommelhof
Seriously, how welcoming does this place look?!
Location: Watou, Belgium (centrum)
- Ambiance – Adorable. It is located right in the town centrum. We rode the bikes in from the B&B (about a 15 minute drive). Very nice feel – could be casual or dressy. We were in the mood for dressy since this was our nice night out for the 4 of us.
- Drinks – EXCELLENT. We opted for the chef’s menu which had the option for a selection of wines or beer. Everyone opted for the wine and Joe chose the beer. Honestly, each wine was delicious. We had 2 whites and a red. My fave was the first white and the last red. Joe, of course, loved his beer selections (all Watou brewed – duh)!
- Snacks – EXCELLENT. When we sat down we received little green olives, delicious white rolls, radishes, and some bbq chips. The rolls came with a ham-like pate which was delicious.
- Food – EXCELLENT. We splurged and opted for the chef’s menu (3 courses) – definitely worth it! (see below)
- Price – GOOD. It’s a rather pricey menu, but honestly one of the best dinners we’ve had in Belgium.
- Service – EXCELLENT – The waiter was very good in English and explained each course in detail. The chef came out of the kitchen about halfway through our meal and asked how we were doing and what we thought – classy!
- Overall – EXCELLENT. A MUST-TRY if you are in Watou!
- First Course – Tomatoes and mozzarella with balsamic vinegar and topped with garnaal (Belgian mini-shrimp). YUM.
- Second Course – White fish (sorry, can’t remember the type) with a light cream sauce and oysters. I couldn’t bring myself to try the oysters…my bad.
- Third Course – Lamb with cheese potatoes (looked like little muffins!) and green beans.
- Dessert Course – Trio of green tea cream with baked pears, chocolate mousse, and a chocolate brownie topped with gelatin. Oh, and a dripping of caramel down the middle of the plate!
As if we needed more, they brought this little joy to the table…
Wow again Watou!