For our last Sunday evening meal in our first apartment, we opted for Chicken Cacciatore…and we were VERY happy!
Chicken Cacciatore (modified from Martha Stewart):
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into chunks – sorry, not an appetizing word)
- 1 onion, sliced into 1/2 rings (used red onion since it was all I had on hand, but probably would use white next time)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5oz can stewed tomatoes (used skinned, chopped can – couldn’t find stewed here)
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil (or oregano)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cooked rice or noodles to serve over
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the chicken, onions, and green peppers in the olive oil until chicken is browned. Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer (uncovered) for about 5 more minutes. Serve with rice and/or noodles (we chose rice)! Of course, we had bread for dipping!!
***Definitely going to be added to our FAVE recipes!***